Sign up for our new free weekly email at strategicriskinstitute.substack.com
Improve your ability to better anticipate, more accurately assess, and adapt in time to emerging strategic threats.
Former Bank of England Governor Mervyn King has said that we now live in a world of radical uncertainty, which has become a much more dangerous place for companies, investors, and governments — and that was before the COVID19 pandemic arrived. Yet since 2008, far too many people have known only a relatively benign environment where aggressive monetary and fiscal policies have kept growing uncertainty and building system stresses at bay.
Are you and your organization prepared to make sense of a complex and rapidly evolving world, so you can make good decisions and act with confidence to achieve both career and organizational success?
Our mission is to make sure that you are.
In just six weeks, SRI's new self-paced online course equips graduates with a range of new concepts, practical tools, and process designs, leading to a Certificate in Strategic Risk Governance and Management. All for just USD $249 or GBP £199.
The eleven module course also includes an extensive Epilogue, which uses our tools and methods to explain COVID-19 as a Strategic Risk Governance and Management Failure. You can download a short summary of the Epilogue here.
Our in-person course for groups takes place over three days, and includes the same content as the online course, and awards the same Certificate in Strategic Risk Governance and Management.
You can also sign up for our monthly strategic risk newsletter on Substack.
The Strategic Risk Institute LLC is the education affiliate of Britten Coyne Partners, a consulting firm with offices in London and Denver that specializes in helping clients successfully address strategic risk governance and management challenges (see our Strategic Risk Blog). It is also affiliated with The Index Investor, which publishes global macro research, forecasts, and warnings to help investors, corporate, and government leaders better anticipate, more accurately assess, and adapt in time to emerging threats.
Our courses are designed to meet the standard of a four credit, Level 7 Award under the UK/EU National Qualifications Framework. They are taught by Neil Britten and Tom Coyne (learn more about us). We use the English grading system. You can learn about it here, and how English grades translate into the North American and French systems. And here is our suggested language for course graduates to use in their LinkedIn profiles.
Our courses are based on the Strategic Risk Governance and Management Framework we have used for years with our clients at Britten Coyne Partners.
Both courses include these modules, which take from one to two hours each:
(1) Introduction to strategic risk governance and management in a world of radical uncertainty
(2) Complex adaptive systems and how novel strategic threats emerge from them
(3) Lessons from historians and intelligence analysts about strategic failure, and anticipating, assessing, and adapting to emerging threats
(4) Common external patterns in strategic failures, including proximate causes and underlying technological, economic, social, and political forces
(5) Common internal patterns in strategic failures, at the individual, group, network, and organization level
(6) Why we fail to anticipate emerging threats, and how this can be avoided, with specific processes and practical tools
(7) Why we fail to appropriately and accurately assess emerging threats, and how this can be avoided, with specific processes and practical tools
(8) Why we fail to adapt in time to emerging threats, and how this can be avoided, with specific processes and practical tools
(9) Effective strategic risk management: processes, systems, structures, and norms
(10) Effective board strategic risk governance: processes, systems, structures, and norms
(11) How advances in Artificial Intelligence technologies could change strategic risk governance and management in the future: current capabilities and limitations, and key progress indicators to monitor
(12) Course review and final exam
EPILOGUE: Using the course concepts and methods to understand and explain COVID-19 as a failure Strategic Risk Governance and Management
Our courses are solidly grounded in over eighty years of Neil and Tom's combined experience as executives, directors, and consultants, as well as research from the intelligence community and multiple academic disciplines. The courses also reflect four years spent on the Good Judgement Project team that won the U.S. Intelligence Advanced Research Activity’s forecasting tournament, which was subsequently made famous by Professor Philip Tetlock in his book, “Superforecasting.”
Sign up below to receive updates from The Strategic Risk Institute LLC, and instantly download a free copy of our analysis, "Critical Global Macro Risk Dynamics in the 2020s and Beyond", which synthesizes the potential impact of interacting trends and uncertainties in technology, global health and disease, energy and the environment, the economy, national security, society, and politics. Includes scenarios for each of these areas, and for the overall global system.
Have Other Questions? Please Contact Us.
Use the form below, or leave a message on 01.720.316.2648