Certificate in Strategic Risk Governance and Management
Holders of the certified competence in Strategic Risk Governance and Management will be able to effectively govern and manage Strategic Risk as a member of a board of directors or executive management team. They will understand the root causes of organizations’ failures to anticipate, assess, and adapt to emerging threats, and will be able to employ various methods and tools to overcome these root causes and help to ensure both organizational survival and the delivery of superior long-term performance.
What Holders of this Certified Competence Know:
• They understand the critical difference between risk, uncertainty, and ignorance.
• They can describe the main characteristics and typical behavior patterns of the complex adaptive systems from which strategic threats emerge.
• They understand how historians make sense of complex systems.
• They understand how intelligence agencies seek to identify and warn policymakers about emerging threats.
• They can describe common external indicators of approaching strategic failure.
• They understand the internal root causes of strategic failure, at the individual, group, network, and organization level.
• They can describe the most frequent causes of organizations’ failure to anticipate, accurately assess, and adapt in time to emerging strategic threats.
• They can describe the main sources of Strategic Risk Governance and Management failure.
• They understand how advances in artificial intelligence technologies could change Strategic Risk Governance and Management in the future, including these technologies’ current capabilities and limitations, and key progress indicators to monitor.
What Holders of this Certified Competence Can Do:
• Holders can select and contribute to processes, tools and methodologies to improve individuals’ and organizations’ ability to anticipate Strategic Risks.
• Holders can apply best forecasting practices to accurately assess the potential magnitude and timing of Strategic Risks.
• Holders can identify high value early warning indicators to monitor, recognize critical surprises, and apply appropriate analytical tools when they occur.
• Holders can apply Safety Margin analysis, the "Met Office" model, and Strategic Risk Map to drive the prioritization of and timely implementation of adaptation to Strategic Risks.
• Holders can integrate these tools and methods into organizational management processes, and the board of directors’ annual meeting program.
• Holders can diagnose the effectiveness of current Strategic Risk Governance and Management processes, systems, and structures, and identify changes to improve their performance.
• Holders can effectively monitor advances in artificial intelligence technologies and identify how they can be applied to improve Strategic Risk Governance and Management.
Suggested LinkedIn Profile Language for Course Graduates